McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 074
Item
- Title
- McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 074
- Description
- Caption: "Williams Canion [sic] - Cave of the Winds," c. 1923. View of a rugged canyon with a small building perched on one wall featuring a sign reading "CAVE." In 1880, two brothers, George and John Pickett, discovered the entrance to a large cave system in Williams Canyon. Further exploration resulted in opening more caverns within the system. The site became a tourist attraction called "Cave of the Winds," with guided tours having been on offer since 1881.
- Contributor
- Audrey Fullerton-Samora of Sacramento, great niece of William and Grace McCarthy, donated the William M. McCarthy Photograph Collection to the California State Archives in 1996.
- Coverage
- Manitou Springs, Colorado
- Date
- 1923
- Format
- JPEG, scanned at 400 DPI, 24-bit color
- Identifier
- 96-07-08-alb-09-074
- Language
- English
- Publisher
- California State Archives, a division of the California Secretary of State's Office
- Rights
- © 2017 by the California State Archives, a division of the Secretary of State’s Office. Contact the owner for more information at ArchivesWeb@sos.ca.gov or (916) 653-2246.
- Source
- Image of an item within the William M. McCarthy Photograph Collection (96-07-08)
- Subject
- Williams Canyon, Manitou Springs
- Type
- Still Image
- Media
96-07-08-alb09-074.jpg